We Can All Be Storytellers.
I didn’t used to think so. I used to think that the art of story was for a few rare talents with booming voices and fantastical lives.
Sure, there are some with more of a knack for it, but that doesn’t mean they should get the floor all to themselves.
Because we are all full of stories.
The idea for this post came to me a week ago while on one of my “boring, everyday” neighbourhood walks. There’s a sweet little wood right at the end of my route. Tall swaying trees and light dancing in the dirt, I always slow down and really take it all in. Every single time I stand and soak in the beauty, I wish I could share that feeling with someone.
It made me wonder what you’re experiencing in your everyday life that you wish you could share. Whether you have funny rituals or special places or little known adventures that make you you.
And the answer is, of course you do!
But we often set the bar too high for what constitutes a “worthy” story.
I want you to know: your life doesn’t have to be epic to be share-worthy. So today I’m offering up two things:
1) A gentle nudge to share any and all stories you feel moved to share. If it matters to you, it’s worthy. Get it out there!
2) A whole list of prompts to help you dig up some of your best brand-centered stories; the ones that provide substance and context to who you are, what you do, and why you do it.
So please, tell your story! Get personal. Don’t be afraid to take up a moment of someone’s day by sharing a little piece of who you are.
Take up a moment of mine! Respond with a story you’ve shared or with a story you want to share. I’d love that.
Storytelling Prompts to Get You Started.
Look for the big lessons. Your strongest stories will come from events that have shaped you, the defining moments in your life — no matter how big or small — that have made you who you are and changed how you do things.
- What are some things you know for sure? How do you know them? Tell a story about when you learned these ultimate life lessons.
- What’s the scariest thing you’ve ever done or faced? Tell a story of how you got through it and what you learned.
- Why are you in the field or business you are in? Tell a story of all of the events and nudges that guided you in this direction.
- How do you know that what you do actually works? Tell a story about why you believe in it and how it’s changed your own life.
- What’s the best decision you ever made for your happiness and/or success? How has it changed your life?
- When have you failed at something? Tell the story about how it happened and what you learned from it.
- Do you have popular stories that your friends or family ask you to retell?
Share a little bit about:
- A ritual you do every day, week, season, or year.
- Your favourite place on Earth and why.
- Your first job or favourite job.
- The best advice you’ve ever received.
- The worst advice you’ve ever received.
- Your 1st business venture.
- A book or article that changed your life.
- A person who changed your life.
Follow your emotions. Where there’s fear, pain, joy, pride, guilt, wonder, or elation, there’s almost always some kind of story. One that can whisk the listener or reader right along with you.
To your stories, big and small!
Have you joined The Undersharer’s Revolution?
Sign-up below to join the growing community and access the free 3-Day Sharing Strategy Camp, where I share my best actionable strategies for becoming a better (more visible and authentic) sharer online. See you in there!